Christian Hur – August 14, 2017 – 5 hour 1 minute
The HTML DOM (Document Object Model) opens up exciting new ways to create dynamic websites. Learn the different ways a developer can manipulate the DOM tree using common web technologies. Instructor Christian Hur introduces the DOM and shows how DOM elements are arranged and constructed. Next, he reviews the built-in web browser developer tools and uses them to quickly manipulate the DOM in a temporary virtual environment (stateless mode). Once the foundations are covered, you can explore the dramatically different approaches to DOM manipulation taken by libraries and frameworks like jQuery, Angular, and React. Exploring the similarities and differences will give you the confidence to choose and switch between tools.
- What is the DOM?
- Working with properties, objects, and methods
- Traversing the DOM tree
- Selecting content in the DOM with jQuery
- Updating the DOM tree with jQuery or AngularJS
- Making live updates for content
- Understanding React’s virtual DOM approach